Re: Running own mail server

I would agree with Dave, take it very slow, DNS can be VERY frustrating.
Here is a link to another Public DNS Service.
http://www.granitecanyon.com/  I used to use them a while back, they
have some online tools to help you, I think they even provide primary
DNS as well as secondary DNS.

As far as bind goes there are many tutorials out there for setting up
hosting, you could just look at the bind portion of those to get an
idea and then tailor them to your specific needs, also the Public DNS
services might also provide you with some information.  You could also
set it up through the Public DNS and then just point your domain to
their servers, and then you just have to make sure that your mail
server resolves properly, ie it knows that it is mail.blah.com.  One
last spot would be your ASDL provider, but they might want $$$.

Dan

On 11/3/06, David G. Miller <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Edward Dekkers <edward@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hey there guys,
>
> for years I've run fetchmail to grab mail from my isp in multidrop mode.
>
> Now, my area is finally ADSL enabled. The ISP I'm going with gives out
> free static IP addresses. I've also bought a domain name which is
> currently parked.
>
> I'm pretty sure I can get the sendmail part sorted, but DNS has me
> confused. At the domain name site, I can put in two name server fields.
>
> Originally I thought I could just run DNS here on my Linux box. But
> apparently from what I understand of the reading I'm doing I'd need two
> servers to do this.
>
> Other readings I'm doing are telling me to use my ISP's DNS servers and
> have them set up the records for me.
I've been doing *EXACTLY* this for quite a few years.  Dan's advice will
get you started on DNS but you should probably take things slowly.  Get
your DNS set up and check that you can "find yourself" from outside your
own network (e.g., go to someplace that provides public internet access
and make sure you can connect).  Make sure your ISP allows you to run
your own servers.  Many ISPs do not or require that you purchase a
business account in order to do so.

As another poster has pointed out, you are supposed to have more than
one DNS pointing to your network.  The internet police will not swoop
down on you if you don't but your network disappears whenever your name
server is down.  A quick reboot isn't usually a problem but you probably
ought to have some sort of backup available in case you have a hardware
failure that has your DNS down for a lengthy period of time.  As an
example, my DNS box is also the primary server for my home network so I
set all of the drives up with Linux software RAID and then confirmed
that the box still functions if I remove a ribbon cable from any disk.
In addition, I have an old PIII/733 that I typically use for testing
that I can swap in if I have to.

Once you have your network "live" you can start messing with sendmail.
Make sure you disable relaying from outside your network.  Getting a
basic configuration working isn't hard and it's really nice to be able
to control your own e-mail.  The only problem I've run into is my ISP
still claims my IP address on a reverse look-up so there are a very few
places (spamhaus in particular) who won't accept e-mail from my domain.

Cheers,
Dave

-- Ambrose Bierce