Re: Getting yum to use RPMs from local disk

Anoop Chandran wrote:
Hey Guys,

I had selected the "Customize later" option, while installing
FC6. Now I have the dumped the rpms to my disk and want yum
to use the rpms in local disk., rather than getting them from the
repositories.

For eg. yum groupinstall "development tools" should start picking
the rpms which I've dumped to the local disk.

I tried setting up a web server on local box and configring yum to use
it. however it wasn't entirely successful.

Can this be done? Is there an easier method (other than going to
online repositories) or am I missing any options of yum?

Regards
Anoop

If you copied rpm files from the DVD, you do not need to run createrepo because the repodata directory is included. But if you copied rpm's from individual CD's, then you need to create the repodata by running createrepo. Either way, once you have them ready and suppose your repodata directory is in /pathto/fc6, add this line to the .repo file:

baseurl=file:///pathto/fc6

Note the three slashes.

Akemi