Re: The plus plus

Peter Gordon wrote:
Andy Green wrote:
No, that is simply not true.  Where is the Gnome kate?

gedit? Scribes? Bluefish?

gedit I know, it is not kwrite or kate.  I will look at the other two.

[...] How can I make multiple panes in nautilus?

Tabs, as I understand it, are a usability hindrance
(application-centric vs. document/work-centric), and so are
recommended against by the GNOME Human Interface Guidelines.

Hehe well I reject this orthodoxy, since I exploit the multiple panes to increase my usability despite gnomic gnome people telling me it is a 'hinerance' in their opinion.

Can I make a konsole inside the nautilus frame that retains pwd
context?

Install the nautilus-open-terminal package, then right click
someplace in the open directory in Nautilus and select the "Open
Terminal Here..." option.

Not the same. In konqueror, you can grow a sizable pane in the main app frame that is a full konsole. As you move between directories in the graphical part, it injects cd commands into the konsole.

[...] (If there is a way to do the equivalent in Gnome, I will be
grateful to be educated)

gnome-vfs uses sftp:// has a URI type for these files, not fish://.
Try: `gedit sftp://user@server/index.html` or something similar.

Hey that worked, very good!

The File Open dialog can't handle it though, and the KDE one handles fish:// seamlessly. You can navigate remote filesystems over ssh as if they were local in the normal file open dialog in KDE.

I can sum up the TRUE schism between Gnome and KDE: Gnome hackers
know C.  KDE hackers know C++.  Over time that holds back Gnome,
advances KDE, and all the while Redhat ignore it they only damage
themselves.

That's not necessarily true. Many cool new GNOME applications and
plugins are written in higher-level languages like Python and
C#/Mono.

My proposition is that KDE hackers know C++ and Gnome hackers know C: that other bindings exist perhaps suggests that C is not the be all and end all. Anything that C++ can do can be emulated in C, but C++ engenders a different and more developed methodology which I see coming out in KDE.

-Andy