Re: Is KDE on Fedora really that bad?

On Thursday 02 November 2006 21:28, Roo wrote:
>On Thu, 02 Nov 2006 15:09:19 -0500, Ric Moore wrote:
>> The sad thing is that if you venture into the KDE IRC list and mention
>> Fedora or RedHat, the crowd gets a little ugly, like real fast.
>
>Yes... well... after the many technical reasons why I don't use KDE,
> comes the problem with its userbase... which is often appears to be made
> up of rabid teenagers with huge chips on their shoulders.

I beg your pardon!  Its not just the teenies that can have an opinion.  You
saw mine, and how I interpreted the RH/Fedora response when I had a
problem in a previous post I won't repeat here for brevities sake.

This 'teenie' as you so aptly label me, happens to be 72 years old, and
while I haven't coded much in the last 5 years, I'd be willing to bet I
was codeing for an RCA 1802, or a Z-80, before the likes of you were born.
Yeah I have a chip on my shoulder I guess, well aged wood at that, none of
this white pine firewood for me. :)

> Any KDE poster
> is contractually bound to mention how much "GNOME is tha sucks... and
> KDE roxx," and probably burble something about "KIO Slaves", and finish
> off with a rant about Red Hat, Sun Microsystems and, lately since they
> went GNOME, Novell.
>
>It's a kind of institutional idiocy that KDE has always suffered from,
> and it's gotten worse as GNOME has overtaken it. I'm amazed that any Red
> Hat engineer ever managed to hold his nose long enough to deal with the
> KDE hordes for more than two minutes.

Frankly I haven't seen enough evidence for 'overtaking' to make me use the
word.  Yes, its getting better, all such stuff gets bigger and better with
time, but there is yet, and I suspect will be, a gap for some time to come
because of the differences between gnome management and kde management.
Each has their own priorities, with it seems, usability being somewhat
higher on the kde priority list, gnome is still hecking me because I have
the audacity to become root.  I've had enough nagging in my time thank
you.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)