Re: fc kernels vs standard?

On Thu, 2006-11-02 at 12:05 -0800, Mike Wright wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I was trying to apply the ipset patch to the kernel shipped with fc4 and
> it didn't take.  The patch README advised that it may not apply cleanly
> to distro specific kernels.  I'd really like to be able to use the
> extensions to netfilter.
>
> Could somebody point out (or point me to) the differences between the
> stock kernels from kernel.org and those generated for fedora, and why?
>
> Been running RH in production since 5.2.  Hate to have to change
> platforms because the fc kernel has diverged so far from the standard.
>
> Thanks for any help,
> Mike Wright

I don't know if "diverge from standard" is the right word here
considering the fact that a single new-line might break the patch.
You have two options:
A. Check what's broken and fix the patch. Unless something is really
broken (and assuming you have sufficient C experience) it should be
pretty trivial to fix.
B. Use a vanilla kernel. It should work just fine.

BTW, you might want to upgrade to a newer FC version. FC4 has been moved
to legacy mode.

- Gilboa