fc kernels vs standard?

Hi all,

I was trying to apply the ipset patch to the kernel shipped with fc4 and it didn't take. The patch README advised that it may not apply cleanly to distro specific kernels. I'd really like to be able to use the extensions to netfilter.

Could somebody point out (or point me to) the differences between the stock kernels from kernel.org and those generated for fedora, and why?

Been running RH in production since 5.2. Hate to have to change platforms because the fc kernel has diverged so far from the standard.

Thanks for any help,
Mike Wright