Re: DVD Finalization appears to corrupt FC6 installer

On Thursday 02 November 2006 00:37, Charles Butterfield wrote:
>Perhaps it's just a coincidence, but I burned two DVDs of the FC6
>installation with finalization and they were both corrupt somehow.  The
>third DVD, burned from the same downloaded ISO file was burned without
>finalization and is not corrupt.  Does this make sense?  Is it in some
>sense obvious?  Anyway, if the finalization truly causes a problem,
>perhaps this posting will help someone else.

I have not had any such probelms here except with my old version of k3b,
which is still using md5sums for that.  However, every disk it says is
bad, is indeed good if that disks total blocks are known from the size of
the iso, and dd is used to feed that number of block of size block out to
sha1sum.  That has checked correct everytime so far here.

>Some details:
>
>*         FC6 downloaded via BitTorret
>
>*         double checked download via sha1sum.exe (after initial
>problems).  Naturally the file passed (thanks BitTorrent!)
>
>*         The first two DVD were burned with finalization (using Nero
>Burning ROM SE 6.0 and a Sony DRU-710A)
>
>*         Both of these failed the "Check CD" phase (and both failed
>miserably when I tried to install anyway)
>
>*         The third DVD was burned from the same download, but without
>finalization, passed the CD check and is presently installing away.

That, I'd have to assume, since you are using a winderz program to do the
burns, is a winderz program problem.  Its never been a problem here.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)