Re: Is KDE on Fedora really that bad?

On Thu, 2006-11-02 at 00:32 -0500, Claude Jones wrote:
> On Thu November 2 2006 12:09 am, Arthur Pemberton wrote:
> > I just have to ask. I was reading through an article on slashdot.org,
> > and I found a suprising number of comments which amounted to "KDE on
> > RedHat is bad". As somone who has never tried anything but Fedora, but
> > love KDE, I need to know...am I getting a raw deal without knowing it?
>
> My experience was the following. I began with FC1 which lasted all of about 5
> days before FC2 was released. In those days, I was quickly put off by the
> philosophy of Gnome and turned to KDE, which I instantly liked. I've followed
> the battles, but I never get involved in the desktop wars - I don't
> personally care what someone else uses - I recognize that people are
> different, and focus on different aspects of things. Early on, I heard
> discussions of discontent with the KDE then offered by Fedora. It was not
> released in the same timely fashion, and with the same commitment to cutting
> edge that other software in the project was. Then I heard that Gnome was the
> preferred desktop in the enterprise behind the Fedora project. Then, I heard
> about Rex Dieter and the KDE-Redhat project. Without fanfare, and with a lot
> of hard work, that project began releasing the latest KDE versions in a much
> more timely fashion, and as I understand it, conformed their KDE more with
> the upstream version than with the modifications done by Redhat. Cut forward
> a couple of years - KDE-Redhat has come of age, and is in process of being
> absorbed into Extras. If you don't want to wait, grab KDE-Redhat now.
> Otherwise, as I understand it, you'll soon have it as an option within the
> distro. I presume some things will change along the way, but, that's the way
> I read it. Rex Dieter is part of the Fedora Project Board now, and he's
> stated that he will continue to participate in some fashion with the KDE
> aspects of Fedora after the coming changes. I may have some details wrong,
> but, that's how I understand it. If I'm way off base, perhaps Rex, or someone
> closer to the board's thinking on this will pipe up.
>
> Bottom line - I wouldn't say you ever got a 'raw deal', but, the one that's
> coming will certainly be a substantial improvement.
----
seems pretty accurate to me - if I recall correctly, much of the fuss
began with the release of RHL 9 which preceded Fedora where KOffice
packages were not part of the base KDE install (replaced by oO.o) and
the Blue Curve theme was implemented across GNOME & KDE which tended to
blur the distinctions between the two desktop manager systems. I think
that there was a lot of discontentment with RH for removing the KOffice
stuff since much effort was made to provide across the board UI
consistency on all K packages. I think that there used to be a lot of
concern over the Qt licensing which has been assuaged over time.

Rex has done a bang up job with KDE and not just in Fedora packaging but
also replacement packages for RHEL too (and I love having the option).

Craig