Re: evolution + maildir

On Mon, 2006-10-30 at 15:49 -0600, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-10-30 at 21:59 +0100, Michal Janda wrote:
[...]
> > There are at least two different ways how to store mail. One is mbox
> > and other is maildir. In brief:
> > mbox (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mbox) - all messages are in one
> > huge file, so if you have at your mail klient Inbox, Work, Friends and
> > Password folders, at disk you have for each one big file. This is how
> > e.g. Thunderbird store mail.
> >
> > maildir (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maildir) - each mail message is
> > in a single file, so if you have the same mail layout as I described
> > you have inbox folder and inside plenty of files, the same for Work,
> > Friends, passwords etc.
> >
> > If I remember well, in Pegasus mail when you create new mail account,
> > You can choose which format for storing mail is used.
> > --
> All what you say above is true. Are you saying you want to have separate
> files for each mail message. If so I don't think ecolution can do that.
> kmail can as can other mail clients.

The 'MH' backend for evolution stores each mail as separate files.
There are definitely some rough edges (e.g. a bug was introduced that
prevented creation of a new folder when using the MH backend.  This got
fixed, but is evidence that there aren't many users using evolution this
way).

That said, it's been working well for me for years.  My main reason for
using it is that I can very quickly scan and read mail remotely using
the mh command line tools.

Matt

Matt Davey      The two most common things in the Universe are
mcdavey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx 	hydrogen and stupidity.  -- Harlan Ellison