Re: Build of VMWARE worstation and FC-6

On Mon, 2006-10-30 at 13:04 -0500, Ed Gurski wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-10-30 at 12:48 -0500, fedora-list-request@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 10:36:04 -0700
> > From: don fisher <dfisher@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> > Subject: Re: Build of VMWARE worstation and FC-6 ?
> > To: For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
> >
> > I think I have a different problem. As I indicated in my original post,
> > I even attempted to downloaded the source version from kernel.org and
> > and could not get past the "where are your includes" question. The
> > threads mentioned all appear to address a version incompatibility
> > problem. Most of the posts got past the point where i am blocked.
> >
> > Is this the same or different problem?
> >
> > don
> >
> > Paul Smith wrote:

> The location of the C header files can be found in:
>
> /usr/src/kernel/`uname -r`/include
>
> which will currently translate to:
>
> /usr/src/kernel/2.6.18-1.2798.fc6/include
>
> Note: I have installed VMWare workstation on both an AMD X64 and an
> Intel Centrino. The one giving me a problem was the Centrino, since by
> default the I686 kernel source was loaded by default. You will need to
> erase that source and install the i586 source, then run
> "vmware-config.pl" to complete the installation...

Alternately, install the i686 versions of the kernel and kernel-devel
RPM packages. The most convenient way to upgrade is to use the command:

rpm -Uvh --force <rpm package file name>

This will replace files and clean up old versions. You can then install
and configure VMware Workstation using the i686 kernel.

Cheers,

Chris

In theory there is no difference between theory and practice.
In practice there is.
-- Yogi Berra