Re: evolution + maildir

On Mon, 2006-10-30 at 21:59 +0100, Michal Janda wrote:
> On 10/30/06, Aaron Konstam <akonstam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>         On Mon, 2006-10-30 at 17:11 +0100, Michal Janda wrote:
>         > Hi,
>         > is there any chance how to use evolution and store mail at
>         maildir,
>         > not mbox? I am downloading several mail list via pop3 and
>         the mbox
>         > file is getting too big.
>         >
>         > Michal
>         I am not sure what you are asking. In evolution you can store
>         mail from
>         each source in a different folder. So exactly what is your
>         problem that
>         you are trying to fix.
>         --
>         Aaron Konstam <akonstam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> There are at least two different ways how to store mail. One is mbox
> and other is maildir. In brief:
> mbox (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mbox) - all messages are in one
> huge file, so if you have at your mail klient Inbox, Work, Friends and
> Password folders, at disk you have for each one big file. This is how
> e.g. Thunderbird store mail.
>
> maildir (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maildir) - each mail message is
> in a single file, so if you have the same mail layout as I described
> you have inbox folder and inside plenty of files, the same for Work,
> Friends, passwords etc.
>
> If I remember well, in Pegasus mail when you create new mail account,
> You can choose which format for storing mail is used.
> --
All what you say above is true. Are you saying you want to have separate
files for each mail message. If so I don't think ecolution can do that.
kmail can as can other mail clients.

In my opinion mbox format is the the better way but YMMD.
If you're careful enough, nothing bad or good will ever happen to you.