Re: wireless network configuration

On Mon, 30 Oct 2006 11:27:36 -0600, Aaron Konstam wrote:

> On Mon, 2006-10-30 at 11:09 -0500, Amadeus W.M. wrote:
>> In my network configuration gui, under my wireless interface second
>> stanza - the one wity "Automatically obtain IP address with dhcp" - is not
>> sensitive. I can't select anything from there. I can only give myself a
>> static private IP address, and that's fine at home, but I'm at work now,
>> and I need to be able to get an address via dhcp.
>>
>> Is anybody else seing this? Is there a reason for it? But in the GUI?
> Well there is good news and bad news. Using NetworkMnager and
> Networdispatcher rather than Network running you can connect to dhcp
> wireless with out trouble using the nm-applet. A fixed address cannot
> yet be handled this way and using the Nework creation gui should handle
> that.
> --
> Aaron Konstam <akonstam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

So how do I get wireless working with NetworkManager?

First I stopped all network devices. /sbin/ifconfig showed nothing.
Then I did

/etc/rc.d/init.d/NetworkManager start
/etc/rc.d/init.d/NetworkManagerDispatcher start

and then /sbin/ifconfig showed all interfaces (eth0, eth1 and lo).
My eth0 is the ethernet nic and eth1 should be the centrino wireless.
At home I do have wireless working by configuring it using the network
configuration gui, by giving it a static address. In that case,
/sbin/ifconfig shows

eth1: ...
and
eth1:0

Now with NetworkManager I only get eth1 which does not have an address.

I'm very weary about managers that are supposed to do their thing without
any configuration from the user. If something goes wrong you don't know
what on earth is going on, or how to fix it. As it is the case here. And
in windows.

Why can't I still have the dhcp option available in the old network
configuration gui? And more importantly, why doesn't it pick up an address
when I configure the ifcfg-eth1 script manually?