FC6 - compiz and sdlmame/xmame don't get along

Under FC6 with SDLMAME 0109u2 and "compiz" active, it runs dead slow, as in
several minutes wait for anything to happen other than a black screen.

xmame.x11 gives me nothing but a black screen or window no matter how long I
wait, even though it says that it did x number of frames when I exit.  So it's
apparently running the game, but it's not visible.

Without "compiz", everything appears to work as expected.

It looks like compiz is incompatible with xmame and SDLMAME for some reason.