Re: Fedora Core 6 ROCKS ! Salute to the developers !

Anne Wilson <cannewilson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Sunday 29 October 2006 01:48, Kim Lux wrote:

On Sat, 2006-10-28 at 16:11 -0700, Philip Walden wrote:
> the many problems being posted
> against FC6 have given me pause to move ahead.

Just curious what you see as being "the many problems" ?

I think he meant 'many reports of problems'. That fact that so many of those 'problems' come from not following good advice is not obvious to someone who hasn't been around too long.

Anne

For clean installs, I think the *only* verified bug is the installation of the i586 kernel headers with the i686 kernel. Even this won't cause a problem unless somebody tries to compile something that needs the kernel headers. I think the other complaints are all just functionality changes from previous versions (it's not a bug; it was intended) or people trying to do an unsupported upgrade (it's unsupported for a reason). Unfortunately, these complaints create a lot of noise that someone new to the list might mistake for systemic problems.

The only problem I saw on my test box (clean install preserving /home) was the kernel headers problem. I'll be installing FC6 on a x86_64 laptop and a dual Athlon system later today (just preserving /home).

Cheers,
Dave

-- Ambrose Bierce