Re: A humble suggestion for Fedora

On 10/28/06, John Bowden <johnbowden43@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Arthur Pemberton writes:

> On 10/27/06, Timothy Murphy <tim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Wouldn't it be nice if the Fedora installation
>> asked for some feedback ...?
>>
>> Eg, "Did you find installation easy (on a scale of 1 to 5)",
>> "What problems (if any) did you have: None, Reading CDs, ...",
>> "Do you any suggestions for improvement".
>>

> Why be so Windows like about it?
>
> My suggestion: Have one of the Python + Curses/GTK guys do up an app
> that takes the questiongs and POSTs them to a website of choice.
>
> Put in multiple levevls of questions: ie. someone a press for time can
> just do a first level of simple, general questions. Someone like
> myself willing to take some time to contribute, can go all the way to
> level X, level X having deeper, more technical questions. Have the
> Fedora Market,Legal, and Dev. teams choose the questions.
>
> And then just give the app a meaningful name, and drop it promintely
> on the desktop, so the user can do it if/when they want, and console
> only users can do the curses screen. And perhaps ask the use if they
> would like the questionnaire to remove itself from the system once the
> questionairre has been completed. Also, use the default fedora html
> pages to point out the existence of the questionnaire.
>
> That's it:nothing mandatory, no data collection behind the scenes,
> nothing that makes you feel like you may have added your name to the
> death squads list of the damned.
>
> If I didn't already have one incomplete Fedora project to finish I
> would do this myself.
>
> Peace.
>
> --
> Fedora Core 5 and proud
>
> --

I second this idea. The app wouldn&#8217;t take up much space.
can be run after any ( rare ) problems with connecting to the
net had hopefully been solved, at my own convenience, at a
technical knowledge level suited to my knowledge level,
Automatically getting a list of hardware / software installed.

Well maybe not _too_ automatically. But yes.

registered Linux user number 414240

You sig also reminds of the needs for metrics of FC installtions, such
an app would help.

Guy Faulks the only person to enter the Parliament with honest
intentions and he was going to blow them up !