Re: Dual booting w/fc5 and fc6

> On Saturday 28 October 2006 16:17, George Hare wrote:
>> ... I decided to try dual booting fc5 and fc6 and when I
>> saw the "chainloader +" come up...I was at a loss.
> I normally do it like this.
> Nigel.

Oh, I quite like Nigel's MBR/partition GRUB combination.
For comparision here's how I did it this time. A bit more dangerous,
having a shared partition for /boot so lots of backing things up. It only
has the one level of GRUB though.

I'm pretty cowardly when it comes go GRUB and like to leave the
onfiguration to the installer as much as possible. Here's what I did when
setting up dual booting.

Partition wise I have
/boot (common small partition for boot kernels and grub.conf)
/fc5 (FC5 system)
/fc6 (FC6 system)
/extra (non-system data)

As root back up the FC5 boot bits:
  tar cvzf /root/boot.tgz /boot
  cp /boot/grub/grub.conf /boot/grub/grub.fc5

In my /etc/fstab partitions were selected by labels, so I changed the
label on the FC5 / to be /fc5 using e2label and then made sure /etc/fstab
and /boot/grub/grub.conf matched.

Test, with a rescue CD/DVD handy in case I need to remount the partitions
and fix my broken config files. :)

As root back up the FC5 boot bits (again):
  tar cvzf /root/boot.tgz /boot
  cp /boot/grub/grub.conf /boot/grub/grub.fc5

Install FC6

If all goes well glue the old FC5 boot entries to the grub.conf :
  cp /boot/grub/grub.conf /boot/grub/grub.fc6
  cat /boot/grub/grub.fc5 >> /boot/grub/grub.conf
Remove the starting lines of the old FC5 part manually

If things go horribly horribly wrong boot with the rescue CD and either
fiddle with the grub.conf or copy back the old FC5 version for booting.

Robert