Re: FC5 and compiz

On Fri, 2006-10-27 at 18:12 -0700, Lonni J Friedman wrote:
> On 10/27/06, Ric Moore <wayward4now@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Fri, 2006-10-27 at 15:01 -0500, ethericalzen@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> >
> > <snippage>
> >
> > >  So I suggest you make sure that you log
> > > out and back in to ensure the nvidia module is working before your
> > > start editing things and making back ups.
> >
> > Thanx Alex! You did a great job of breaking it down more. Only prob is
> > that I'm still running FC5. I thought the update of the livna modules
> > was good for FC5 as well. Lonnie said in his post that it was just for
> > FC6. <groans> Is it just a matter of having the FC6 kernel? Or is there
> > a slew of changes making this entire matter moot? Thanx! Ric
>
> You need Xorg-7.1.  You get that either with FC6, or building it from source.

I rolled the dice, took Brian's advice and used the recipe at illawarra
and so far I have all kinds of nifty stuff happening, rotating cube,
sleek semi-transparent windows, buttons that light up and everything,
while in FC5. I just followed it step by step, but had to enable livna
on several of the yum installs. That was the only gotcha so far. Some of
the text smears at times in menus. Got way too many options to figure
out in one sitting, but the rotating cube desktop is wAy kEwL. Now to
try some of the space games and see just what eye candy I've been
missing. I gonna let everyone else battle the FC6 thing for a bit, to
see what shakes out. And most important, nothing blew up!! Whew!

The instructions at illawarra did one thing I really liked. You loaded
some, then stopped to test. Then loaded some more, then stopped to test,
and so on. So you could recover more easily if something did go boom,
installing in stages.  Now to figure out how to view the skydome thing
where I loaded that ubunto gal. <cackles> To coin a phrase, Life is
good! Ric

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar
http://www.wayward4now.net