Re: New FC6 upgrade just displays "grub" -

Alastair Neil wrote:

On 10/25/06, *Bob Goodwin* <bobgoodwin@xxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:bobgoodwin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

                            *I just tried an upgrade rather than a
    complete
                            reformat and install for the first time with
                            Fedora anything.

                            When it booted for the first time it stopped
                            with "grub" printed to the screen and
    apparently
                            sits there in its editor function waiting for
                            some command.  I don't know what it wants or
                            what to do next.

                            FC6 is installed on an 80g sata drive
    replacing
                            a working FC5 install.

                            The "rescue disc" is not much help, probably
                            because I don't know the right command?

                            Any suggestions appreciated.

                            Bob Goodwin*

sounds similar to problem I experienced. I booted into rescue mode then issued a chroot /mnt/sysimage. cd /boot/grub and check the device.map file. Assuming your system disk is /dev/sda it should have:

(hd0) /dev/sda

if it doesn't, modify it so it does and run:

grub-install /dev/sda

Also check the /boot/grub.conf file and see if the various files are being referenced to the correct device partition, it should be (hd0,0) if your system drive is the first device.

Hope this helps, Alastair

Yes it helps, now if I can fix the problem.

device.map  appears corrupted:

(fd0)   /dev/fd0
(hd0)   /dev/st
(hd1)   /dev/sdb

My big problem is "vi"

I have never learned the commands and it's a science project every time I am forced to use it! I normally use a simple text editor called e3em which uses emacs commands. I'll muddle through.

Thanks.

Bob Goodwin