Re: What is the consensus on the best partition scheme and size?/Keeping home separate

What is the FHS?

Robert P. J. Day wrote:

personally, i lay out my laptop a lot closer to your server
suggestion but, then again, my laptop *is* my primary system.  that
said, here are a couple of other thoughts:

1) a separate /tmp to protect the root filesystem from /tmp overflow
has always seemed to me like a good idea.

2) and speaking of /tmp, i'm pondering the idea of moving /tmp under
/var and symlinking /tmp -> /var/tmp.  i could have sworn that there
was something in the FHS that suggested that /tmp really belonged
under /var because of its dynamic nature.

3) if i'm feeling bold and daring, i'll mount /usr read-only (as the
FHS suggests it has the right to be).  AFAIK, there's nothing in
fedora core that requires /usr to be mounted read-write in normal
operation, and i can always remount briefly when i'm installing or
updating SW.

rday