Re: bad memory or PEBKAC?

Klaasjan Brand wrote:

If the original poster unmounted before removing the player that sounds like a bug in the graphical unmount front-end...
Try running "sync" before unmounting/removing the drive.

I read somewhere recently there is a (fairly long) software timeout on the "Safely Remove" option on the desktop icon representing the drive. If you transfer a ton of files, the desktop icon can give up and disappear before the device is truly unmounted; if it has an LED to indicate transfer in progress it would still be flashing away.

I would transfer a ton of new files, and umount it by hand from the commandline and see if it makes a difference. sync shouldn't be necessary AIUI because the umount has to do it.

-Andy