Re: smart package mgr question?

On Sat September 30 2006 3:57 pm, Gene Heskett wrote:
> My point being that smart didn't show me a cups upgrade at
> all, only downgrades, while yumex just got done with 168 megs
> of upgrades w/o any apparent problems.  Including cups and
> friends from whatever to 1.1.2-4.1-1.

I don't usually accept the downgrades when they're offered, but,
I have found those situations useful for other reasons. I'd
still bet some other package was being modified that could only
work by reverting your cups, and it gave you that choice. As to
comparing to Yum, it's almost surely the case that Yum did not
hit the same mirrors as Smart, and even if it did, it did so at
a different point in time. I have found plenty of weirdness with
yum as well, but my general view now is wait - 90% or more of
issues that come up during updating will be fixed by waiting a
while.
--
Claude Jones
Brunswick, Md, USA