Re: what's the story on mixing yum repos these days?

On Fri, 2006-09-29 at 16:22 -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Sep 2006, Peter Gordon wrote:
>
> > Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> > >   i've read differing advice on whether it's safe to mix and match
> > > livna, ATrpms and rpmforge repos.  what i'm after is to install
> > > various multimedia packages (codecs, mplayer, etc.)
> > >
> > >   any good advice?  thanks.
> > >

> > I'm using the official GStreamer repositories [1] with Livna and
> > Core/Extras for all of my multimedia needs (gstreamer-universe,
> > mplayer, loads of open-source codecs, et al.) No troubles here. (The
> > Gstreamer FC5 repositories even work well with Rawhide, but that's
> > not considered stable at all (though I'm weird and cooky like that).
> >
> > [1] http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/download/fedora5.html
>
> thanks.  the reason i asked is that the whole issue of mixing repos
> was, and still is, a mess.  here,
>
> http://stanton-finley.net/fedora_core_5_installation_notes.html#Warning
>
> we read:
>
> "As you continue please keep the following in mind: You should not use
> the livna.org repository in conjunction with the
> dag/freshrpms/dries/newrpms (RPMforge) collection of rpms in your
> configuration files for automatic updates. Use one group or the other
> but not both. These two groups are mutually incompatible and can cause
> errors in your installation if used together for automatic updates."
>
> ok, so let's say i choose to go with rpmforge, at which point i'll
> eventually end up here, looking for the appropriate rpmforge-release
> package for FC5:
>
> http://rpmforge.net/user/packages/rpmforge-release/
>
> which doesn't have one for FC5 -- only up to FC4.  ok, then, let's
> google for "rpmforge-release fc5", which eventually takes us here:
>
> http://apt.sw.be/dries/packages/rpmforge-release/fc5-i386/
>
> so download and install, and try to "yum install mplayer" via
> rpmforge, which fails with "No Match", etc, etc.
>
>   it sure would be nice if this were settled once and for all.

Note that if you back up one level from the above to
http://apt.sw.be/dries/packages/rpmforge-release/
that you can see all the releases.

The failure with no match means just that.  There is no package with
that exact name in _that_ repo.

Also note that Dries only supports thru FC4.  The rpmforge group
supports FC5 and later.

I got mplayer from the ATrpms repository which can be found thru
atrpms.net. AIUI atrpms is part of the rpmforge group.