Re: what's the story on mixing yum repos these days?

On Fri, 29 Sep 2006, Peter Gordon wrote:

> Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> >   i've read differing advice on whether it's safe to mix and match
> > livna, ATrpms and rpmforge repos.  what i'm after is to install
> > various multimedia packages (codecs, mplayer, etc.)
> >
> >   any good advice?  thanks.
> >

> I'm using the official GStreamer repositories [1] with Livna and
> Core/Extras for all of my multimedia needs (gstreamer-universe,
> mplayer, loads of open-source codecs, et al.) No troubles here. (The
> Gstreamer FC5 repositories even work well with Rawhide, but that's
> not considered stable at all (though I'm weird and cooky like that).
>
> [1] http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/download/fedora5.html

thanks.  the reason i asked is that the whole issue of mixing repos
was, and still is, a mess.  here,

http://stanton-finley.net/fedora_core_5_installation_notes.html#Warning

we read:

"As you continue please keep the following in mind: You should not use
the livna.org repository in conjunction with the
dag/freshrpms/dries/newrpms (RPMforge) collection of rpms in your
configuration files for automatic updates. Use one group or the other
but not both. These two groups are mutually incompatible and can cause
errors in your installation if used together for automatic updates."

ok, so let's say i choose to go with rpmforge, at which point i'll
eventually end up here, looking for the appropriate rpmforge-release
package for FC5:

http://rpmforge.net/user/packages/rpmforge-release/

which doesn't have one for FC5 -- only up to FC4.  ok, then, let's
google for "rpmforge-release fc5", which eventually takes us here:

http://apt.sw.be/dries/packages/rpmforge-release/fc5-i386/

so download and install, and try to "yum install mplayer" via
rpmforge, which fails with "No Match", etc, etc.

  it sure would be nice if this were settled once and for all.

rday

p.s.  is there a single online HOWTO for multimedia under fedora core?
sure would be nice if everything related to multimedia/audio/video was
documented in a single place.