Re: Fedora in numbers, kde defaults in future Fedora releases

Chitlesh GOORAH wrote:

> On 9/27/06, Rex Dieter <rdieter@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> You betcha! (:
>>
>> Personally, I'm of the mind to go KISS (keep it simple, stupid) and
>> recommend going with kde default crystal(icon)/plastik(widgets).
>
> It depends simple for whom ?

I'm speaking in the context of look-n-feel, icons/widgets.

> I don't think our KDE is "Simple" with :
> - long Kmenu (2 menus which basically say the same thing, (e.g
> Administration and Settings)

Administration -> system administration.
Settings -> User-specific preferences

Not really the same thing, imo.

Besides, placement of apps in the menus is not a "KDE" thing, it's
controlled by the apps themselves via what
Categories=...
are listed in their .desktop files.

> - software confusion, 2 or more software which do the same thing (e.g
> kwrite, kate, kedit)

Not *exactly* the same thing.  Each has different target audiences with
different feature-sets.

> It's hard, as an ambassador to convince people that you might use KDE
> with fedora.
> A screenshot of fedora's Kmenu is enough to frighten any newbie.

Regardless, imo, this discussion is quickly moving off-topic for
fedora-marketing.  Followup on fedora-list.

-- Rex