Re: problems in installing realtek 8139 network card

I also can't get this network card working with FC5, but the
problem isn't hardware.

I have a brand new Toshiba A110-233 laptop and I've partitioned
the disk so I have Windows XP and FC5. The network card works
perfectly with Windows, but I cannot get Linux to work with it.

: lsmod
8139too    25409  0
mii         5313 1 8139too

: lspci
04:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Unknown device 4222
(rev 02)
05:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. Unknown
device 8136 (rev 01)

Although lspci says "8136" according to XP the device is "Realteck
RTL8139/810x".

I have used neat to set it up:
I have one device, eth0 using dhcp.

I tried probing but got "No such device"; so I've put in the MAC
address that XP reported.

I am using the Apaptor: "RTL8139, SMC EZ Card Fast Ethernet", set to
device eth0, with IRQ "Unknown" and no other values set.

I've set up the DNS to my router's IP address, but of
course I don't get that far...

When I do ifup eth0 I get:

8139too device eth0 does not seem to be present, delaying
initialization.

Now since this works fine with Windows I don't believe that
there is a hardware problem: I just think that for some reason Linux
can't find this device.

I don't know anything about networking and would really
appreciate if anyone has any suggestions.

Thanks!

--
This is an email sent via the webforum on https://fcp.surfsite.org
https://fcp.surfsite.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=115296&topic_id=26515&forum=10#forumpost115296