Re: how to access remote CUPS printer?

On Wed, 2006-09-27 at 01:27 +0930, Tim wrote:
> Tim:
> >> If you're able to compile and run your own software, then you ought to
> >> have enough permissions to be able to edit your configuration.  If some
> >> administrator has not given you root access permission, but then left
> >> you able to compile and run new software, they've not properly done
> >> their job in securing the box.
>
> Michael Hennebry:
> > ????
> > Only root is supposed to be able to use a compiler?
>
> That isn't quite how I meant it.  If you're able to create your own
> software, and you're not prevented from running it, then there's little
> point in restricting you from root access.  You can already own the
> machine, with those abilities.

Not necessarily true.  You can run lots of stuff you compile, and most
of us do so often.

The real problem there exists in that only root has access to
create/open ports less than 1024 and most system services (including
printing) use standard ports in that range.  Any user can and does use
ports above the 1024 limit.

In respect to printing, it would be very complex to create a full print
system that does not use the standard software, ports, config files,
etc.  I would expect the complexity would be far beyond the benefit for
most people to try and do that.