Re: OT: Then and than [WAS: chroot to oldlinux...]

On Tuesday 26 September 2006 12:17, Anne Wilson wrote:
>On Tuesday 26 September 2006 04:31, Gilboa Davara wrote:
>> In my defense, English is not my primary language
>
>It never ceases to amaze me how well people can communicate about
> technical issues in a language that is not their native language.
> Mistakes sometimes, yes, but almost always understandable as a whole.
> There are many people on most lists who *do* have English as their
> native language, but make as many mistakes.
>
>I would feel extremely proud if I could communicate in any language other
> than English to the standard that many second-language people manage
> here.
>
>Anne

Amen Anne.  Unforch, for those of us who do not have a second language, its
all too easy to sit back and be smug about it, while bitching about the
others poor command of our language, while confirming the others opinion
of the ugly american by doing so.

I'm constantly amazed at the precision english used by many who post to
this list when the native language they use at home is mandarin or ??  Far
better than some of us who've never heard another language, let alone
speaking it fluently.

My hat is off in respect for those who go that extra mile just because the
minority of this planets peoples speak english.

I do think we have the best language for carrying on technical discussions,
but then I'm probably both biased and certainly uneducated in the nuances
of the rest of the planets languages.  My apologies, but as I make preps
to note my 72nd year here, this old dog probably isn't going to learn too
many new tricks at this late date.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)