Re: Suggestions for cd ripper...mp3 or wav?

Mark Haney wrote:
R. G. Newbury wrote:
I'm looking for suggestions for software to rip CD's..
I'm also looking for comments on the relative advantages of ripping to mp3 versus wav files and the 'best' software to play those files back from the harddrive. I am presently using aplay in a for loop script but I need something better. My present wav files were ripped with cdda2wav under OS/2. what is the equivalent for linux/Fedora?
Suggestions please.

R. Geoffrey Newbury Helping with the HTTP issue

Personally, I would always go with either MP3 or OGG files. I have about 600GB of MP3 and OGG files on a jukebox system running icecast. WAV files are just too big to be useful, unless you really want to waste storage space.

You might also take a look at "flac"; lossless wav compression, generally cuts the size of a wav in half without losing any audio quality.

Regards,

John