Re: network has gone down again, and I cannot figure out why

Ric Moore <wayward4now@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Mon, 2006-09-25 at 09:34 -0700, Mike Wright wrote:
Ric Moore wrote:
> I have a static IP, and with the DSL modem set to "pass through" mode,
> my linux "crate" is doing everything... and blowing up. Been working
> rock solid, went through the update, a report is made about something
> missing and I go into scattered chickens mode becauce weird stuff is
> happening, like the domainname being added as an alias to localhost
> minutes after I fix it.

I did lookup on your hostname and got an IP but a reverse lookup on that IP gives adsl-070-145-234-214.sip.int.bellsouth.net. I wonder if the problem arises because the forward and reverses conflict, and perhaps one of the configuration programs is "fixing" it for you?
I believe I am OK now, If you would try that again to see what pops up,
I'd appreciate it. I am back on my static IP, it's resolving quickly and
seems to be at full speed.
It's brute force but you could try "chattr" to make your hosts file
immutable.
I'm afraid to touch it, now that it's working. If it wasn't the bind
packages, then using the FC6 setup* rpms must have done the trick. Ric

Just a WAG but it appears that one of the rpms in the latest batch of updates does something really strange with /etc/hosts. I updated my FC5 box yesterday and /etc/hosts now looks like:

[dave@spindle ~]# cat /etc/hosts
192.168.255.254   mutilate.local.davenjudy.org    mutilate
127.0.0.1 spindle.local.davenjudy.org spindle localhost.localdomain localhost

The first line is my NIS server so luckily the update didn't mess with that. I can't imagine any circumstances under which I would modify the 127.0.0.1 entry to look like the above. At least I didn't run into the problem of the bogus line being "sticky". I still don't have an answer to that problem.

Also, looking at what logwatch reports, I noticed the following:

Packages Erased:
bind-config
Another WAG but it appears to have been replaced by:

Packages Installed:
   sane-backends-libs.i386 1.0.18-2.fc5
   kernel.i686 2.6.17-1.2187_FC5
   caching-nameserver.i386 30:9.3.2-33.fc5 <-- This
   libgconf-java.i386 2.12.4-2.fc5

Cheers,
Dave

-- Ambrose Bierce