Re: OT: Then and than [WAS: chroot to oldlinux...]

On Tue, 2006-09-26 at 06:31 +0300, Gilboa Davara wrote:
> On 9/25/06, oldman <talbotscott@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> >         Just putting in a mild gripe here, but I can't remember the last time
> > someone used then or than correctly.  So just for the record use then
> > when you are trying to convey the order (chronologically or
> > geographically).  Than is used when comparing two things as I am bigger
> > than you.  The use here is obscure but other and that are in a weird way
> > being compared so than is correct.
> >
> >         Thanks for letting me get that off my chest!  Please resume
> >
> > Scott
>
> In my defense, English is not my primary language and I always seem to mix
> then and than. (Using then exclusively is much safer - Theoretically I
> should be right in at least 50% of all cases...)
> However, I'll inspire to do better. (...now if only vim could do grammar ;))
>
> - Gilboa

I cannot for the life of me get the hang of "I" after "E", except after
"C", after 56 years of being native born here. Good luck with this
language. If it wasn't for my spell checker I'd look pretty bad.

<chuckles> Ric

...the Sin of Ignorance, and
...the Sin of Stupidity.

Linux user# 44256