Re: how to access remote CUPS printer?

On Mon, 2006-09-25 at 19:09 -0500, Michael Hennebry wrote:
> Do I have to use software that uses client.conf ?

It's your local CUPS server that uses it.  When you print, your
applications use the local CUPS server, which either prints through a
local printer (directly connected to the box), or communicates with
another CUPS server (as specified in the client.conf file).

> Suppose I do something silly, like getting copies of printing
> software source, replacing things like /etc with /home/me/etc
> and recompiling.

If you're able to compile and run your own software, then you ought to
have enough permissions to be able to edit your configuration.  If some
administrator has not given you root access permission, but then left
you able to compile and run new software, they've not properly done
their job in securing the box.

I read messages from the public lists.