Re: chroot to oldlinux to run legacy app, with X

On 9/25/06, Jack Byers <byersj@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Jack Byers     byersj@xxxxxxxxxxx

Copying the .Xauthority file saves you the need to open access to your X
server. (xhost +localhost)
Other then that, you just chroot into the 32bit Linux and execute the
command.

Gilboa

---
thanks  ,
I will try this to see that i still get X working this way, on my present 32
bit systems

1)Your reply didnt discuss my other  command
>[root@bootp byers]# mount --bind /tmp /corni/tmp

which I find necessary to have X working on the chroot.

My mistake.
/tmp's bind -is- required to get X running.

In essence, in my own experience I usually:
A. bind tmp to the /chroot/tmp
B. Copy the .Xauthority to chroot'ed home.
C. Make sure DISPLAY is being set correctly.

2)at the risk of repeating my original question:
  I had heard that doing this chroot  to another linux  would run into some
trouble
if going from 64 bit to 32 bit, or vice versa.

Non what-so-ever. *

* I never tried to run a very old, 2.4 based, 32bit Linux under chroot.

- Gilboa