Re: how to access remote CUPS printer?

On Mon, 25 Sep 2006, Aaron Konstam wrote:

> On Mon, 2006-09-25 at 09:34 -0500, Michael Hennebry wrote:
> > On Mon, 25 Sep 2006, Tim wrote:
> >
> > > On Windows, I've been able to print to a FC4 CUPS server by specifying
> > > the address to the printserver in the printing setup dialogue on
> > > Windows, but that's still an issue that requires some administrative
> > > privileges.
> >
> > Why would I have to be root on the client?
> > I'm pretty sure that ordinary users
> > have permission to TCP to remote ports.
> > Are other permissions needed on the client side?
> You cannot edit client.conf uless you are root on the clients.

Do I have to use software that uses client.conf ?

Suppose I do something silly, like getting copies of printing
software source, replacing things like /etc with /home/me/etc
and recompiling.
Would I get something that would let me print to a remote printer?

I suspect that there might be snags
that might make it not worth the effort.
The first would be figuring out what source I needed.
I suspect that I would also have to replace local port numbers
to avoid collisions with the system printer demon(s).

Whether or not it would be worth it, I suspect it would be
easier than writing an IPP client from scratch.

--
Mike   hennebry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
"it stands to reason that they weren't always called the ancients."