Re: network has gone down again, and I cannot figure out why

Ric Moore wrote:
I have a static IP, and with the DSL modem set to "pass through" mode,
my linux "crate" is doing everything... and blowing up. Been working
rock solid, went through the update, a report is made about something
missing and I go into scattered chickens mode becauce weird stuff is
happening, like the domainname being added as an alias to localhost
minutes after I fix it.

I did lookup on your hostname and got an IP but a reverse lookup on that IP gives adsl-070-145-234-214.sip.int.bellsouth.net. I wonder if the problem arises because the forward and reverses conflict, and perhaps one of the configuration programs is "fixing" it for you?

It's brute force but you could try "chattr" to make your hosts file immutable.

$0.02,
Mike Wright