Re: Alsa sound issuer / restart in fedora

hopey wrote:
> Hi, I've got soundblaster live! audiocard and I'm trying to use it in
> combination with logitech Z-650 surround speakers. The digital coaxial
> output doesn't seem to work at all. All I get is just some noise.
>
> speaker-test -c 6 -Dplughw:0,0
>
> I don't know if it is even possible to get the digital sound working
> with logitech speakers. Are the coaxial plugs similar in these
> devices?
>
> In analog setup with speaker-test -c 6 -D surround51 doesn't give
> center or LFE channel. There is something funny going on in the
> middle/LFE/digital out plug...
>
> speaker-test -c 6 -D surround51
>
> speaker-test 1.0.11rc2
>
> Playback device is surround51
> Stream parameters are 48000Hz, S16_LE, 6 channels
> Using 16 octaves of pink noise
> Rate set to 48000Hz (requested 48000Hz)
> Buffer size range from 64 to 16384
> Period size range from 16 to 16384
> Periods = 4
> Buffer time size 2525
> To choose buffer_size = 16384
> To choose period_size = 4096
> was set period_size = 4096
> was set buffer_size = 16384
> 0 - Front Left
> 4 - Center
> 1 - Front Right
> 3 - Rear Right
> 2 - Rear Left
> 5 - LFE
>
> Last problem is a question of how can I restart alsa in fedora core 5?
> It used to be in /etc/rc.d/init/alsasomething but I can't find any
> kind of script there anymore. Now if and when my alsa hangs, the only
> way to deal with the situation is to reboot the pc. This is too WinME
> solution. How can I reboot alsa? Could we get the script back where it
> should be? Thanks for your time and patience.
>
> hopey

not sure if you have it or not, but this sound card requires you have a
dongle thing from creative to output the digital sound to some external
device.  without this, you will just get the noise.

http://creative.com/products/product.asp?category=13&subcategory=55&product=1780

--
Anthony -  http://messinet.com - http://messinet.com/~amessina/gallery
8F89 5E72 8DF0 BCF0 10BE 9967 92DC 35DC B001 4A4E