Re: how to access remote CUPS printer?

On Sun, 2006-09-24 at 19:03 -0500, Michael Hennebry wrote:

> > I think we need to know what's meant by "remote".  Another device on the
> > local network?  Something on a distant network?  Over the internet?
>
> Neither is on my "LAN", which consists of a single FC5 box.
> The FreeBSD box has its own global IP address and I think it runs lpd.
The automatic browsing only works for machines on the same LAN. To have
browsing occur to a different LAN you have to alter the ServerName in
the client.conf file on the clients.. If you can't do that and you have
to be root to do that your "toast" as they say. At least as far as far
as the CUPS web interface. The cups-lpd program allows cups to use lpd
protocol. When you set up the printer on the server you can say that is
will use lpd protocol. The worst that could happen is that you have the
printer defined under two different names and different protocols. The
lpoptions program can be used to set the name of the default printer and
it can be run as a normal user. It is not clear to me why the owners of
the client machines would not be willing to make a change on the client
machines if no one else uses them for printing Although I will admit
changing the client.conf file will screw up printing to any other
printers from the client machines.

> Is there a way to ask it?
> ps -C lpd
> produced an empty list, but it might be down again.
> The FC3 box is behind a firewall and runs CUPS.
> I have the IP address of the firewall which runs Debian.
>
> I am not root on either of the client machines.
> Editing config files on them is out.
>
> Nor can I get root to do it for me.
> My useage of these machines is mostly a gift.
> I am nearly the only person who does any printing at all from them.
> I would be the only person using the printer on the FC5 box.
>
> Is there a program that would let me do someting like this:
> ipp_client -P remote_printer  file_to_print
>

> On the FC5 box, I think that I can figure out what to do with CUPS,
> though suggestions are welcome.
> Config editing is prefered, but KDE suggestions are also good,
> especially if they state what the GUI is changing.
>
> A suggestion for GUI builders:
> How about a visible mode?
> It would be just like the blind mode, except that it would
> show the files being edited, possibly with strikeout for
> things being removed and underlining for things being added.
>
> Samba is not involved.
>
> --
> Mike   hennebry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> "This dream is brought to you by Sharassin of Shan.  Dreams and
> communication wizardry of all sorts at reasonable rates." -- Sharassin of Shan

Our country has plenty of good five-cent cigars, but the trouble is they
charge fifteen cents for them.