Re: Checking internet connection without a winbox

On 20/09/06, Aaron Konstam <akonstam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tue, 2006-09-19 at 19:30 +0300, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> I've tried all the addresses mentioned, but none of them led anywhere.
> And I've had no luck googleing for the modem, nor any luck talking to
> the geniuses at the ISP.
>
> Of course, I'm trying this while connected to the 'net via the router.
> Should I disconnect from the net, eliminate the router, and try these
> addresses again?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Dotan Cohen

I am still not sure what your problem really is. If you are connected to
the Internet what are you trying to determine? But if you are trying to
find out the ip address to the modem and or router it seems to me using
a traffic monitoring program like tcpdump, nmap or tethereal would allow
you to find out the ip of machines you machine is communicating with.
One of them must be at the ip of your router. You router should have a
web interface that will tell you the ip assigned by the DHCP server of
your ISP.

The internet connection has many lost packets. I'd like to know who's
loosing them.

That the technical people of your ISP can't tell you how to do this is
very strange. Chauvinism would make me think that the CS department or
the Computer Center at the Technion could help you with this.

Hmm, maybe I should go ask them. Good idea- thanks.

Dotan Cohen
http://what-is-what.com