Re: Advice managing home directories

On 9/24/06, Andrew Robinson <awrobinson-ml@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I'm looking for advice on managing my home directories on my home
network. I have various flavors of mostly Fedora on various computers
and sometimes on various partitions on the same computer. I'm trying to
figure out the most convenient way to combine what's common between them
with what's unique to each installation.

It would be trivial if I could put all the common stuff in a single
directory, like a "My Documents" in Windoze. I could NFS-mount from my
main server and link that directory into each home directory.

However, a number of applications seem to want put their configuration
and data in dot directories directly in the home directory. jpilot and
thunderbird are two examples. At this point I am identifying these
applications and creating links. The more applications and the more
installations, the more tedious and error-prone this approach becomes.
Is there a better way?

Thanks!

Andrew Robinson

Andrew;

I can tell you what I do with my small linux/sometimes Windows
network, although I can't tell from your post exactly what you're
trying to do with "common stuff". It sounds like you're thinking about
things in a Windows kind of way (no offense).

Anyway, I have a server that I put all my home directories on and
share by NFS. I used to use NIS, but for the few numbers of users and
machines it is unnecessary (and all of my workstations run FC5). I
mount the home directories either using fstab entries or with
automount. I put a common docs directory in my home directory and
share it by NFS and SMB, and then link to it in each home directory. I
have a cron job that backs up the home directory on the server every
night. Since the home directries are on the server I can shut off the
workstations at night.

I use SME server (a RHEL based server distribution). I make sure that
users on the workstations have the same UID/GIDs as on the server
(very important for NFS). Although using NFS on SME isn't built in, it
can be done effectively in small networks that don't see a whole lot
of change. Most importantly GIDs are the same as FC.

But I'm still curious about your noting the location of the hidden
application directories in the home directory.

-P