Re: Fedora vs. Ubuntu (hijacked: can I dual boot FC and Kubuntu?)

On Sep 24, 2006, at 8:23 PM, Claude Jones wrote:

On Sunday September 24 2006 4:30 am, Joel Rees wrote:
But you did notice that we had two people on this list offer their own experience with data corruption that they attributed to using master and
slave together. I have to admit, I don't know for positive that they
were able to clear all the other potential factors, but then we also
don't know for positive that people who have trouble using cable select or people who have trouble when not using cable select have cleared all
the other contributing factors.

Yes, and both those people provided very specific detailed instances and descriptions of their issue, which is what I was objecting to in your posts. I actually know myself of a couple of very obscure configurations with very specific kinds of hardware/software where the M/S system breaks down, but these instances are far from the norm. I would place Ric's example in that same category. James' example was of something that existed in the past, a
controller that is "now obsolete" as he put it.

Well, how do you know that the original poster on this subthread has what you call normal hardware?Do you have a list of drive and controller combinations that are golden together? Do you know for sure that guy has two drives that are okay together on the controller he's hanging them on? Do you have a test suite for him so that he can get a level of confidence that his configuration is okay? Can you explain every instance of corruption that's reported on the web?

It's been fun chatting, but I have to work tomorrow, and I still haven't finished restoring my family's e-mail rules on this box. I've stated my opinions, you've attacked them, my opinions are unchanged, but I'm gonna let this thread drop.

[...]