Re: yum losing it´s flavour?

On 9/23/06, Ric Moore <wayward4now@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sat, 2006-09-23 at 21:03 -0500, Arthur Pemberton wrote:

> There is currently no known major problem with yum.
Arthur, you have seem to a grasp of it all things yum, so I'll ask ya,

I can lay no claim to no such praise. Quite the contrary actually.
However, I use yum regularly, and I am regular in the Fedora chatroom
and mailing list. That is to say, if there was a known major problem
with yum, I would be aware of it.

I can grasp an i386 rpm, meaning it a common denominator 32 bit rpm.
I've not seen i486 rpms, but they surely existed at one point.
It's preferable to use an i586 rpm if you have an i586 processor over
the i386 one, correct? Assuming you have an i586 kernel?
An i686 rpm, is it for 64 bit processors running 32bit? or a prebuilt
rpm for 64 bit?

Of this I am not sure, although it feels wrong. Your question would be
better served by Googling or by opening up a new thread. . . sorry.

I have an Athlon64 3200 running 32 bit FC5 (yeah, I'm still chicken) and
I'm seeing a kernel for i686 being yum updated. My updated nvidea
modules was an i586. It no longer works. <grins> Fill me and anyone else
as being merely ignorant, would you please? Ric

I don't thnk i686 implies 64bit. I think that owuld be i64 (I could be
mistaken). I have a 32bit CPU, but i have an i686 kernel, as chosen by
yum.

Good luck.

--
Fedora Core 5 and proud