Re: yum losing it´s flavour?

On Sat, 2006-09-23 at 14:22 -0700, Douglas Phillipson wrote:
> >  >

> >> What´s a respin?
> >

> > ISOs of fedora (or any distro) that contain a bunch of the updates
> > already in it, so you don't have to dload them seperately all over.
> >

> How does this help with a yum problem?  Who want's to download ISO's for
> regular updates?  Am I missing something here?

Hi Doug,

I think you misunderstood the answer. If you want to do a clean install,
but don't want to have to download 200+MB (?) of updates after the
install completes, you will want to use respin CD's instead. Respins
incorporate all the latest updates up to the date that the respin was
released, so when you do a clean install with a respin CD, you will have
significantly less to download and update.

If you come from a Windows environment, one useful way to think of
respins is that it is equivalent to "slipstreaming" service packs into
the Windows XP CD so that the CD contains the latest service packs when
you do a clean install.

Of course, if you already have FC5 installed and don't want to do
another clean install, you may want to just download the available
updates in the yum repositories.

--
Pascal Chong
email:  chongym@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

"La science ne connaît pas de frontière parce que la connaissance
appartient à l’humanité. et que c’est la flamme qui illumine le monde."

-- Louis Pasteur