Re: How to take screenshot

On Thursday 21 September 2006 02:15, Amadeus W. M. wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Sep 2006 22:41:58 +0200, Nigel Henry wrote:
> > On Tuesday 19 September 2006 22:06, Colin J Thomson - G6AVK wrote:
> >> Hi Nigel,

> >> Have you tried KSnapshot, assuming it is in FC2's KDE
> >>
> >> HTH
> >>
> >> Colin
> >
> > Hi Colin. Thanks for that. it takes a snapshot ok, but the snapshot
> > doesn't look like what I am seeing on the screen.
> >
> > Tvtime usually has a blue screen, and this is what the snapshot shows,
> > but what I am seeing on the screen, is a screen composed of bluey green
> > and pink horizontal lines, and probably the bottom 15% of the screen is a
> > green pixel soup. I've no idea what I've done to screw up Tvtime.
> > Removing it and reinstalling it just brings up the same mess.
>
> If you remove and reinstall tvtime, you may want to remove/rename
> the .tvtime from your home directory to make it forget all the
> old settings, and start anew.

Hi. Sorry for the delay. I've been Googling to try and sort out these
problems.

Bttv had loaded the wrong tuner type (One for NTSC type=2) initially, but I
hadn't realised it at the time. Tvtime when I installed it had the usual blue
screen showing no signal. I ran the channel scan tool, but it picked up
nothing, obviously because the wrong tuner type was installed. I then start
to play the piano on the menu, trying different options as if they are going
out of fashion. Now Tvtime on this FC2 install appears to be totally screwed
up, and I have this strange pink, and bluey green horizontal overlay on the
screen. No access to the menu or anything. If I take a screenshot, it's saved
as a blue screen, but that's not what I'm seeing.

I changed the resolution to a higher one, and it appeared to fix the problem,
then I moved the resolution back to the original 1024x768 one, and it was
still allright, but after rebooting I was back to the weirdo display, and yet
when I first installed tvtime it was ok with the 1024x768 resolution, and
using another instance of FC2 on the same machine, and after making sure that
the tuner type was 38, tvtime works ok on that install.

It would appear that while I was seriously messing with menu settings on
tvtime, that changes have been made somewhere else other than on tvtimes
config. I say this based on observations. I remove tvtime, making sure that
all files are removed, but when reinstalling it I get the same weirdo
display.

What changes could tvtime have made to other files on the system?  I tried
running depmod -a as root, and it fixed the tvtime problem, but after
rebooting the same old problem was back, and running depmod -a again, now
does nothing. My messing with tvtimes menu settings must have made changes
somewhere else, but I'm darned if I know where to look.

I do have some TV on the FC2 install where tvtime is screwed up, using
xawdecode, but no sound. On the other FC2 on the same machine I have tvtime,
and xawdecode giving me sound. At least on the 3 french channels, and the 2
belgian ones, but not for the UK ones.

Reluctantly using XP on the same machine as a benchmark, the images are good
on all channels (France, Belgium, and UK) , and sound is ok on all of them.

All a bit puzzling.

Nigel.