can´t get kde, can´t get gnome...what happened?

Alright...you all already know I´ve been having some hdd difficulties.
My attempt to recover my old hdd aborted itself, so I just did a fresh install on the new 200gb drive, and set about configuring
my system, doing updates, etc.
I did a number of yum updates, and, as occured once previously, stuff I told it to install did not appear in the Kmenu
as it usually does....somehow I regarded that as a bad sign.
I think I was right.
Now, I can not log into either kde or gnome.
I am currently logged into blackbox, but I seem to be unalbe to start openoffice so I can do my work.
So, I´m screwed...
I don´t even have the slightest idea how to diagnose or repair this issue.
I really want my kde back.
Can I do a yum remove kde, then reinstall it or something?

tony