Re: howto isolate 2 nics?

Gene Heskett wrote:
> Greetings;
>
> We have a machine that has two nics in it, one with an outside, world
> visible internet address, and one with an address in the 192.168.xx.xx
> range.
>
> What we seem to be missing is a way to have requests for service generate
> the reply on the same nic it came in on, as its currently settup with just
> one gateway address, the replies are all going back out on the local
> address.
>
> We effectively need each nic to operate in its own domain, but with the
> machine servers visible to both nics?
>
> Can this be done?  URL's to tutorials?
>
> Thanks in advance.

It sounds like you have the default gateway set to use the NIC for
the local network instead of the Internet. Chances are, you do not
need a gateway on the local NIC at all. You definitly do not want
the default route to point to the local network.

Posting the output of "route -n", /etc/sysconfig/network,
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 and
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1 would help in solving the
problem.

You may also have some other network configuration issues that need
to be addressed. When the network configuration is set up properly,
this is not an issue. If you had 2 connections to the Internet, or
if you are accessing more then one network through the local NIC,
then it would be more complicated.

Mikkel