Re: Fedora vs. Ubuntu

Amadeus W. M. wrote:
yum will be much faster in FC6 as it has a metadata parser written in C
rather than python.

Is that were the bottleneck is? From what I see, yum spends a lot
of time trying to connect to countless mirrors, many of which are
down or which fail the integrity test. That doesn't depend on yum
itself, I guess.

I wonder what was the reason why yum wasn't written in C to begin with.
Anyway, looking forward to the FC6 yum.

up2date was written in python and the thought was by the developer that python would be kept in working order because of the other redhat (at the time of decision to use python) programs that use python.

I'm looking forward to FC6 and the compilation in C, if that is the case for yum. Hopefully the speed is better.

Jim

--
No matter how much you do you never do enough.