Re: fx5200 TVOut problems

On 9/21/06, James Pifer <jep@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I'm hoping someone here can help. I'm using an nvidia fx5200, with fan
and DVI and SVideo out. I'm running FC5 with mythtv 0.20.

I'm using this for mtythv and I have this installed:
# rpm -qa | grep nvidia
nvidia-graphics-1.0.8774-13.at
nvidia-graphics8774-libs-1.0_8774-75.fc5.at
nvidia-graphics-helpers-0.0.14-15.fc5.at
nvidia-graphics8774-1.0_8774-75.fc5.at
nvidia-graphics8756-1.0_8756-74.fc5.at
nvidia-graphics8756-kmdl-2.6.17-1.2174_FC5-1.0_8756-74.fc5.at
nvidia-graphics4363-libs-1.0_4363-65.1.rhfc3.at
nvidia-graphics8774-kmdl-2.6.17-1.2174_FC5-1.0_8774-75.fc5.at
nvidia-graphics8756-libs-1.0_8756-74.fc5.at
nvidia-graphics-devices-1.0-5.fc5.at
# uname -a
Linux mythtv 2.6.17-1.2174_FC5 #1 Tue Aug 8 15:30:55 EDT 2006 i686 athlon i386 GNU/Linux

I have several issues.
1) The TVOut over SVideo is really washed out, or the brightness is way
off, something like that. I'm not sure how to adjust it. Using nvidia-
settings I don't see anything specific to brightness. Hue is set to 0.
This is not related to mythtv. Before even running mythtv's frontend you
can see how off the picture is.

2) The performance of the TVOut is not good. When I watch a recording in
mythtv, it seems like it drops frames. I tried watching a football games
over the weekend using LiveTV and it was unwatchable because of how
jumpy it seemed to be. Same issue.

3) I'm using overscan to increase the size of the picture so it fits
better on the screen. For some reason the settings do not stick. I mean
at some point the over scan will be back to 13 (the default) even though
I did not modify any settings.

4) Also related, if I go in and make changes to the config, they are not
stored in .nvidia-settings.rc like it says it will do. If I remove the
file and let the config create a new one it always seems to have default
settings, even if I made changes before hitting quit. According to the
help text, using Quit is supposed to update the config file.

Anyone have any suggestions? Should I try different versions of the
nvidia drivers/modules? If I connect the DVI-VGA output to the projector
everything is great. Unfortunately I use the TVOut on a couple other
TV's so I really need to figure it out.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks,
James
ps- I have posted to mythtv's list but haven't gotten it figured out
yet.

With the s-video brightness problem, have you tried a different s-video cable? Or try a different s-video source using the same cable? Try to rule out the possibility that the TV has a defective s-video input also. I have been using an FX500 for years now with s-video out to a TV for years now and have had no similar issues with brightness.

For the settings problems, see this...
http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/fcmyth.php#video
Expand the section "For users of nVidia Video Cards". To quote the relevant part...

The latest driver versions rely on the nvidia-settings utility to set your overscan with a slider, and you can do so without restarting X. You can also adjust gamma, contrast, color balance, etc., with the nvidia-settings utility. All the settings are saved on a per-user basis, and according to nVidia's docs, should be reactivated at login if you do the following:
$ echo "nvidia-settings --load-config-only &" >> ~/.xinitrc
$ echo ". /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc" >> ~/.xinitrc

--
Rob Anderson
riznob@xxxxxxxxx