Re: dd_rescue output on hdd recovery operation

On 9/21/06, anthony baldwin <anthonybaldwin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
As I've mentioned, I am trying to recover data from a hosed drive (mad
bad blocks).
I am running dd_rescue from a knoppix disk and copying said 80gb drive
to a partition on a brand new 200gb drive.

dd_rescue has been running for near 36 hours now, and this is the most
recent output:

*dd_rescue: (info): ipos:    884781.5k, opos:    884781.5k, xferd:
884781.5k
                *  errs:  12955, errxfer:      6477.5k, succxfer:
878304.0k
             +curr.rate:        0kB/s, avg.rate:        8kB/s,
avg.load:  0.1%
dd_rescue: (warning): /dev/hdb (884781.5k): Input/output error!

*Do I understand this correctly?  It looks like it's telling me that
c. 88.4781 gb have been transferred, but only 87.8304gb successfully
transferred.
(0.6477gb error, not bad percentage wise).
What I don't understand is, 88gb?  The drive is only 80gb...
And it is still going...

Try using dd_rhelp to drive dd_rescue. I have successfully recovered a
bad partition this way a few months ago. From the README:

| What is dd_rhelp ?
| -----------------
|
| dd_rhelp is a bash script that handles a very usefull program written in C by
| Kurt Garloff which is called dd_rescue, it roughly act as the dd
linux command
| with the caracteristic to NOT stop when it falls on read/write errors.
|
| This makes dd_rescue the best tool for recovering hard drive having bad
| sectors. (dd_rescue can be found : http://www.garloff.de/kurt/linux/ddrescue )
|
| But using it is quite time consuming. This is where dd_rhelp come to help.
|
| In short, it'll use dd_rescue on your entire disc, but will try to gather the
| maximum valid data before trying for ages on badsectors. So if you leave
| dd_rhelp work for infinite time, it'll have the same effect as a simple
| dd_rescue. But because you might not have this infinite time (this could
| indeed take really long in some cases... ), dd_rhelp will jump over bad
| sectors and rescue valid data. In the long run, it'll parse all your device
| with dd_rescue.
| You can Ctrl-C it whenever you want, and rerun-it at will, it'll resume it's
| job as it depends on the log files dd_rescue creates.

I know that this doesn't answer your specific questions, but I hope
it'll help nevertheless.

Andras