Re: Bridging and Routing (4 Nic's on one machine)

Perhaps I haven't stand fine. I stand you have an external iface (that is a wifi interface) and you want to connect to your computer using an VPN (OpenVPN) and then access to your internal network. Am I right?

If I right, you don't need bridge configuration.

When you configure OpenVPN server, this will add a new iface to your server, then, you only need to allow routing from your VPN network to your internal network (allow routing and allowing with iptables the traffic).

The problem that you will encounter is the netbios broadcast frames that don't allow you explore de routed networks (internal network), but using direct acces via IP you will access without problems to your samba shared (windows shares).

Regards

Roger Grosswiler escribió:
I would like to install openvpn afterwards and gain access via wlan on the
external if to the internal network and use printers, shares etc.

I think i gonna need bridging there(?)

Roger

Think in a bridge as a kind of switch. It works at OSI Level 2 (Ethernet)
not at upper levels (IP).

The IP you assign to bridge must be the IP you need to access to the IP
subnet you need to access from the bridge interface.

The first question is: Do you really need a bridge?

If you don't need to connect networks at Ethernet level, you don't need
it.

Perhaps I don't stand fine your required configuration, but I can't see
that you really need bridges.

Can you explain a bit more your wanted configuration?

Regards

--
Samuel Díaz García
ArcosCom Wireless, S.L.L.