Re: Fedora vs. Ubuntu

On Thu, 2006-09-21 at 10:30 -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

> > I think, therefore, that your comfort-level in supporting a
> > different distro has to be borne in mind.  I'm not saying you
> > couldn't - there will be more similarities than differences - but
> > you may not wish to take on an extra layer of responsibility.
>
> not sure if this was mentioned already but, at the risk of sounding
> overly shallow and capitalistic, you might consider which linux distro
> is going to have more value on your resume.

There is also something to be said for using two or more distributions
just so you understand which parts are generic and portable unix-like
mechanisms and which are uniquely weird.  The installers, package, and
system management tools tend to fit the latter category.  These parts
may add value in certain situations but lock you into bad choices in
others if you rely on them too much.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx