Re: FC4

"Alastair McKinley" <amckinley03@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

echo $PATH gives:

/usr/kerberos/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin

So there is no python path.  I was about to no rpm -e --nodeps python but
does rpm not use python?
Is there any other way I can force python to reinstall?

Best regards,

Alastair

The short answer is rpm doesn't use python. The long answer is you can always check dependencies with rpm (including rpm itself):

[dave@bend FC6-test3]# rpm -qR rpm
/bin/bash
/bin/sh
/bin/sh
/bin/sh
/bin/sh
beecrypt >= 4.1.2
config(rpm) = 4.4.1-23
fileutils
libbeecrypt.so.6
libbz2.so.1
libc.so.6
libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.0)
libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.1)
libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.2)
libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.3)
libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.3.4)
libcom_err.so.2
libcrypto.so.5
libdl.so.2
libelf.so.1
libexpat.so.0
libgssapi_krb5.so.2
libk5crypto.so.3
libkrb5.so.3
libkrb5support.so.0
libm.so.6
libneon.so.24
libpopt.so.0
libpthread.so.0
libpthread.so.0(GLIBC_2.0)
libresolv.so.2
librpm-4.4.so
librpmbuild-4.4.so
librpmdb-4.4.so
librpmio-4.4.so
librt.so.1
libselinux.so.1
libsqlite3.so.0
libssl.so.5
libz.so.1
popt = 1.10.1
rpmlib(CompressedFileNames) <= 3.0.4-1
rpmlib(VersionedDependencies) <= 3.0.3-1
shadow-utils

You can try "rpm -i --replacefiles python" but your previous stab using "--force" should have had the same effect (--force is the same as --replacefiles --replacepkgs --oldpackage). One other thing you could try is use the --relocate option of rpm to install python some place else (e.g., make a usr/bin under /tmp and install it there) and then manually copy the files to where they belong. Check the man page for rpm for more information.

Cheers,
Dave

-- Ambrose Bierce